A friend in Seattle (Alan Cheetham) has written a contra dance with
substantially weird end effects called broken corners. The dance is below, but
the gist of the hook is you start contra corners, but with your first corner
you allemande left 1.5 to have the TWOs complete the contra corners.

I'm gathering some people together tomorrow night to walk through that dance.
I've got a couple of other weird dances, but while I've got some dancers
gathered together for some experimental dancing, do YOU have any weird contras
you've had hanging around and you need an in-depth, fully studied, deliberated
upon walk thru?

If so, please send them on. Tomorrow is a great time for us to work on your
dance for you!

Also, if you happen to be in Atlanta Wed, stop on by Janet's house from 7:45 -
9 to help us parse this and other dances out!

Note: I have neither danced nor called this dance. I can make no
recommendations about it being callable, danceable, understandable. It should
be danceable. I just haven't proven it yet.

Broken Corners

Author: Alan Cheetham

Start: Beckett O=men, X=women

[After hands-four improper rotate right 1 / 4 so the "Ones" are on the right
(men's proper side)]

"Ones"

Circle Left 3/4 (8)

A1a

Swing Neighbor (8)

A1b

Long Lines F&B (8)

A2a

"Ones" half Figure 8 up around Twos (8)

A2b

First broken corner - part 1 (part of 8)

"Ones" start contra corners - Alamand partner by the right ½ to first corner
(standard contra corner first corner)

B1a-1

OX

OX

OX

First broken corner - part 2 (rest of 8)

Alamand corner by the left 1 ½  (which will end in a position to send the
corner "Twos" into the middle)

O X

B1a-2

O X

O X

Second broken corner - part 1 (part of 8)

Former corners alamand the one you meet in the middle ¾ (to go to what would
have been the standard second corner for the original people in the middle)

B1b-1

OX

OX

OX

Second broken corner - part 2 (rest of 8)

Alamand second corner position person by the left once around (to head back
along the side)

B1b-2

Along the set gypsy the one you meet by the right ½ to ¾ changing places (part
of 8)

B2a-1

Men gypsy across the middle by the left ½ ending facing your partner (rest of 8)

B2a-2

B2a-2

Swing partner (8) (may need to swing slightly to the right, or remember the
circle will be with the couple slightly to the right)

B2a-2

Seth Tepfer

Director of Administrative Computing

Oxford College of Emory University