Martha,

This reminds me of a situation that sometimes comes up when I am calling to halls with lots of first-timers. It involves what I call "excessively helpful" dancers.

These are folks who talk to their first-timer partners during the walk-through and will give them instructions while I am still calling. In the worst case these folks will shout instructions to dancers in a different minor set while leaving their own neighbor without a cue as to who they should be dancing with. This draws the confused dancer's attention in the wrong direction and makes many dancers in the general area nervous. Think of someone shouting: "NO! Star with THEM!"

These folks are, of course, the very ones who come up to the stage looking frustrated, tell me the dancers in their set were really confused during the last dance, and insist that I need to call "more walk-throughs" or call longer. Sometimes these folks are aspiring callers themselves who feel a need to instruct newcomers.

Almost all feedback to callers needs to be interpreted. Listen to the symptoms being described...and take the proposed solution with a grain of salt.

My strategy is to: First, make sure that I am calling precisely, clearly, and with impeccable timing. Then I focus on keeping the entire situation light--working to establish an attitude that no one fails and having fun is more important than "getting it right." (Using humor, for example, to lower the stress level allows people to focus on what they are doing.) My third strategy is to walk up to the "excessively helpful" dancer during the break and tell them how much I appreciate the fact that they do not talk to other dancers during the walk-throughs. "That really helps me when I am teaching the dance," I tell them. "Thank you!"

It doesn't often have a marked effect. But over time it might...particularly if other callers reinforce the message.

Incidentally: Dancers and dancing callers on the floor can sometimes help verbally,...but never while the caller on stage is speaking. After the caller drops out those who can may, when it seems needed, call the dance in the set. But always use well-formed, precise, and timely calls please. And shut up immediately if the caller begins calling again.

Just a thought,

Greg