Adding to Linda's good thoughts -

For a full hey I usually point out that people should end up in their starting
place, and if there are lots of newer dancers I may add "how you get there is
just a detail, as long as you don't crash into anyone else." Folks often
chuckle at that point, which I take as a good sign. But how to officially teach
it? If most people are new I've done the first walkthrough with hands, as in
Grand R & L, then without hands.

One thing that confuses a lot of new folks is how to turn and re-enter on the
other side. I've seem many people turn sharply back and collide. It sometimes
helps to describe it as a LH U-turn (or RH U-turn as the case may be), or to
suggest pretending that they're hooking their arm around an imaginary lamppost.
Or pretend they are little airplanes and have to "bank" to turn. Most kids (and
some adults) embrace being silly with the airplane idea, which makes the whole
figure less intimidating.

For a half hey, it helps to point out they'll be diagonally across from their
staring place at the end (usually the same gender neighbor's spot).

Hilton Baxter