From: "Greg McKenzie" <greken...@gmail.com>
To: "Caller's discussion list" <call...@sharedweight.net>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 5:37:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Callers] Overused figures

What is so great about the "ProgramPlanning Matrix" is that it seems to be
based upon input from a number of experienced, key people.  Nevertheless,
the matrix does place a significant burden on programmers.  If you add in
local preferences and personal preferences the task of programming becomes
much more of a challenge.  In general this is probably a good thing.

I agree that it is the variation in the transitions, the music, the
dancers, and the calling styles that adds excitement to contras.  I'm not
too concerned, personally, with "overused" figures.  For me it is the
non-basic figures that seem to be "overused."  Keeping it simple and
accessible allows greater participation which is what insures lots of
variation in the people you interact with at each dance, and this--in my
opinion--is the real draw of contras.

If you think a figure is "overused," what is the basis of your opinion?  is
it:

- comments from dancers
- comments from programmers
- personal preference