On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Richard Hopkins <hopkin...@comcast.net>wrote:

> In older contra dances, danced duple or triple proper, same-sex
> right-and-left-through moves are common -- that is, a R and L through
> started from a position where two men are facing two women.   Through the
> folk process, we have largely abandoned that practice, and either don't
> call those dances or call them much modified.   There may be a number of
> reasons for this, but I think likely part of it has been discomfort with
> the same-sex interaction in that move.  The folk process can take us in any
> number of directions….

Maybe.  If you've been through an evening where half or more of the dances
end with "down the hall and back, cast off, R/L through and back"    (the
whole B part) you might come up with some more reasons.

I think the trend to improper formation owes more to flexibility and it
becoming more OK to mix the genders  than people being uncomfortable lined
up with same gender.