On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Colin Hume <co...@colinhume.com> wrote:

> I imagine a lot of callers are happier to start the way I've
> described, gradually building up confidence.  Would you expect to do a
> Saturday evening dance in your first year of calling?

In many places in the USA, the options for a caller are:

1. Calling for friends
2. One-night-stand dances
3. Local recurring dance series (often on Friday or Saturday night)
4. Dance festivals

The weekly club dances are much less common in the US contra dance scene,
although I believe that they're still the staple for modern western square
dancing.

Given that, the starting point for many new callers is the local big
recurring dance series, as part of a new-callers' night, or as a special
guest during some other caller's program, or simply on his or her own,
hopefully with a receptive and helpful (and forgiving!) dance community.

-Grant-

--
Grant Goodyear
web: http://www.grantgoodyear.org