On 3/17/2014 10:11 PM, rich sbardella wrote:
I am looking for some period dances that might have been danced in small New
England towns in 1820-1830.  Should be easy enough for children.
Any suggestions?

Authentic dances of the period and ones easy enough for children may be two different things. In a small New England town they might have been doing contra dances. Check Cracking Chestnuts by David Smukler and David Millstone. The popular dances of that period would have been quadrilles. The waltz was also being done as a couple dance, but was consider scandalous until the polka became popular in the mid-1840's. The Gallop came into popularity around 1829 so I suppose Galopede (or other similar dances) might be considered authentic for this period.

Also, does any know the steps to "Barrel of Sugar"?  Recommended music?

It's in A Choice Selection of American Country Dances of the Revolutionary Era 1775-1795 by Kate Van Winkle Keller and Ralph Sweet.

Barrel of Sugar
triple proper

AA 1's hey on opposite sides, 1's cross back and cast to 2nd place at the end of the hey
BB 1's and 2's rights and lefts
AA 1's set to contrary corners
BB 1's lead out at the sides

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!