Just out of curiosity, since I had a gig scheduled while this discussion was going on, I tried substituting the phrase "right/left shoulders around" for "gypsy." I had not taught the move in the beginners session. The first dance this came up in had a neighbors gypsy 1-1/2. I said "neighbors right shoulders around once and a half," the dancers all did it, easy peasy. It's not too hard to remember to substitute the term, and will get easier as it goes along.

I called 2 dances today, the Sebastopol English dance and the Petaluma contra. I had a few "gypsy halfway" moments at the English but no full gypsies. Several at the contra and I found the different terminology to cause not the tiniest ripple on the floor. It was seamless.

Kalia