On 4/8/2016 1:31 PM, Bradley Smith via Callers wrote:
Hello all! I'll be calling a session of challenging contras at a dance
weekend next month, and find myself lacking in the aforementioned
challenging contras. I want to keep the session balanced, with a mix of
dances that are mind-bending or heavily technical as well as some dances
that are a step or so below that but that still have something
interesting or unique. Would any of you be so kind as to share some of
your favorite challenging dances? Thank you in advance!

   Here is one I wrote that can be done as double or triple progression.

Stars and Stripes
Jonathan Sivier (1994, 1995)
duple improper, double progression; intermediate

1 - long lines forward and back
2 - left hand star 1 time
3 - right hand star 1/2, allemande left 3/4 with next
    neighbor to a wavy line across the set, men in the
    center
4 - balance the line, men allemande right 1/2
5-6 balance and swing partner on the side of the set
7 - circle left 3/4
8 - swing neighbor on the side of the set, end facing
    in

Stars and Stripes
Jonathan Sivier (1994, 1995)
duple improper, triple progression; advanced

1 - long lines forward and back
2 - left hand star 1 time
3 - right hand star 1/2, allemande left 3/4 with next
    neighbor to a wavy line across the set, men in the
    center
4 - balance the line, men allemande right 1/2
5-6 balance and swing partner on the side of the set
7 - circle left 3/4 and pass through along the set
8 - swing new neighbor, end facing in

Notes

3 - timing is tight, must move quickly, end in a wavy
    line with actives facing up, inactives facing
    down, men holding right hands in the center, 1st
    progression
5-6 balance and swing on man's original side
7 - 2nd progression for triple progression version
8 - 3rd progression (2nd progression for double
    progression version)

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, Square, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!