Hi Liz,

              I would start with something like:

In a big circle teach: 8-count moves; hand-holds and connection; how to swing

Family Contra so they learn to progress. No swings so that they can’t end on
the wrong side and mess things up. Tell them not to switch lines when they get
to the top or bottom!

https://folkdancemusings.blogspot.com/2015/05/family-contra-usa.html

East Litchfield Volunteers - use wrist-lock stars instead of circles as they
did circles in the previous dance

http://biteyourownelbow.com/conndanc.htm

              Or I would do a completely different repertoire of easy dances
since trying to do actual modern American contras with beginners can be a
disaster :-)

            Happy dancing,

                   John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England   j...@modernjive.com 01233 625 362 & 07802 940