      From: Luke Donforth <luke.do...@gmail.com>
 To: Shared Weight Callers' Listserv <callers@lists.sharedweight.net>
Cc: Helle Hill <helleh...@yahoo.com>; Mac Mckeever <mac...@ymail.com>
 Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:42 PM
 Subject: Re: [Callers] Calling for the visually impaired

(Technical note, I Mac's response, but not Helle's original post?)
I don't have extensive experience calling for visually impaired dancers. I have
occasionally had an experienced blind dancer on the floor, but never a sizable
percentage. But this is conjecture on my part; please trust your own judgement.
It sounds like you're calling for a bunch of folks who don't regularly dance?
In which case, I'd recommend (as with most one-off gigs), not focusing on
'duple improper contras' and just get folks moving to music. Something as
simple as a snake dance may be a good kick-off. It's not overly simplifying for
them, that's often a dance that gets used at community dances.
It may be worth talking to the sound person ahead of time to see if a clear
"head of the hall" can be established sonicly. Some gigs will put up more than
one row of speakers or such to blanket the sound, but giving an audio clue
about direction may be useful.
If you're shooting for hands-four contras, I wonder if some of the pass through
progressions of simple contra dances could be re-worked to have a roll-away
instead? For instance, A1: long lines neighbor swing, end facing down the
hallA2Down four in line, turn as couples, come backB1Circle left three places,
partner swingB2Circle left three places,balance the ring, gents roll neighbor
lady away with a half sashay
As two-swing contras go, that's a relatively simple. Everyone is always holding
on to at least one other person. But you've still got changes of direction and
knowing your orientation when you end the swing.
But even that is more complicated than I would run for most community dances
when most people aren't regular dancers. Even if you have one "seeing" partner
in each pair, if you're not separating sets out by "this set has seeing gents
role; that set has seeing ladies role" then if you do a neighbor swing, you'll
end up with couples that don't have a "seeing" person.
Good luck! And please do let us know how it goes, and what you figure out.
On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:21 PM Mac Mckeever via Callers