From: Callers <callers-boun...@lists.sharedweight.net> On Behalf Of Becky
Liddle via Callers
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 4:37 PM
To: callers@lists.sharedweight.net
Subject: [Callers] "Dixie Twirl" term

Hi all,

I hesitate to make my first post to a new (to me) list be about culturally
sensitive terminology because I fear that that sometimes stirs up controversy,
but this is a remarkable coincidence:

I finally got around to joining this list yesterday because I wanted to ask the
list whether anyone knows a less objectionable term for the Dixie Twirl move: I
encountered the move in a dance I was interested in learning to call,

but I’d be unwilling to call using a dance term with the word “Dixie” in it.
Then I realized I could just say “middles arch, rights lead under” and thus
both avoid the term “Dixie” and avoid making my first post on this group be
about culturally sensitive terminology. :-)

But then in receiving my very first Caller’s Digest, I see a recommendation for
using the term Dixie in a dance name. So I’m getting up my courage to post,
hoping that I’m not wading into a hornet’s nest...

I would recommend against using Dixie in a dance name or even using it as a
dance term. Please allow me to explain:

I lived in Alabama for 14 years. In my personal experience, Dixie is a term
that is nearly always used by white people with warped nostalgia for the
antebellum South (choosing to ignore the fact that things weren’t so great for
black residents back then). I find that glorifying “Dixie” is done by the same
folks who glorify the rebel (confederate) flag: It’s done supposedly in the
name of honoring heritage, but its closeted purpose is to express longing for
the "Good Old Days" when whites were in charge and blacks were subordinate.

For those interested in the topic here’s an article that touches on the current
controversy around the word:
https://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/article/Heart-of-Dixie-vanishing-from-Alabama-license-1964800.php

I’ll just be avoiding it. I’m planning to go with “middles arch, rights lead
under” unless someone can suggest a better term or phrase?

Thanks all, and lovely to meet you!

Becky

Begin forwarded message: