Hi Jim,

I never use music during the pre-dance lesson until the very end of the lesson. I don't think there is a need until the end.

My entire lesson is filled with moves -- either as a couple or as a foursome. We repeat the moves; we repeat the moves, again and again. For moves like courtesy turn, pass through, right-and-left through, ladies chain, 1/2-hey, and full hey -- once they learn the actual move, then I add the count -- either 8 or 16. Again, with no music, just my voice.

Then, during the last 4 minutes or so of the lesson, I ask the band to play a single tune -- whatever the band likes, reel or jig. I want the tempo at regular dance speed -- 112-118 or so. The dancers are still in their foursomes. Then I call those moves to the music -- hash call so no one knows what move is next. The dancers dance to the music, do the moves at speed in the right tempo, finish the moves on time, and learn to listen to the caller. I don't worry about lining up for a contra and learning the progression -- I can teach that in 30-seconds during the first dance of the evening. Basically, I want dancers to have fun and confidence in dancing.

I think this lesson does a good job of getting new dancers confident and dancing to the music.

Best,
Woody
--
Woody Lane