I believe that the tempo for dancing contras in the United States has to do
with the style and wants of the dancers.  It’s the desire to improvise and
flirt which I think is an integral part of the US contra scene and is the
reason for the tempo being what it is.

If you look at the contra dancing in Denmark, the tempos are much faster.
Although I haven’t been there for several years they don’t improvise and they
don’t do much if any flirting either.   They dance very straight.  My
conclusion from watching them quite a bit is that slower tempos would leave
them standing around which they wouldn’t find as much fun.   I’ve never timed
the music but I would guess it’s easily at 124 bpm or higher, definitely the
same as a tempo for squares here.

Sent from my iPad