-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Rainsy Party of North America <[email protected]>
To: sokha4 <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Mar 20, 2012 6:37 am
Subject: Swiss judge resigns from court trying Khmer Rouge



Swissjudge resigns from court trying Khmer Rouge
BySOPHENG CHEANG | Associated Press 03/20/2012


Inthis photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers …
PHNOMPENH, Cambodia (AP) — A Swiss judge hasresigned from the U.N.-backed 
tribunal prosecuting Khmer Rouge war crimes, a move Amnesty International 
blames on the Cambodian government's interference with thecourt's efforts to 
seek justice for victims of the 1970s atrocities.
JudgeLaurent Kasper-Ansermet said Monday that hewill step down in May because a 
Cambodian counterpart has opposed hisinvestigations of new suspects. He said 
the conflict has created "adysfunctional situation" on the court, which is 
seeking justice for an estimated1.7 million people who died of starvation, 
exhaustion, lack of medical care ortorture during the communist regime's rule.
In astatement Tuesday, Amnesty International called the latest resignation 
"asignificant setback."
Theformer regime's chief jailer is in prison and three of its leaders are on 
trial,but Cambodia's leadership opposes extending prosecutions to more Khmer 
Rougefigures, some of whom have become political allies. The country's 
powerfulruler, Prime Minister Hun Sen, has publiclychided and threatened the 
tribunal several times.
"Thevictims of the Khmer Rouge atrocities must be feeling utter despair," 
saidRupert Abbott, Amnesty International's Cambodia researcher. "The U.N. 
mustdemand that the Cambodian government desists from this political 
interference,and make clear the consequences should it continue."
Kasper-Ansermet had replaced German judge Siegfried Blunk, who leftin October, 
also citing government interference. Human Rights Watch, though, hadaccused 
Blunk of failing to conduct genuine and impartial research beyond theone 
suspect convicted last year and the top Khmer Rouge leaders currently ontrial 
in the second case to go before the court.
Astatement issued by the tribunal said Kasper-Ansermet would resign May4.
Kasper-Ansermet said a Cambodian colleague, You Bunleng, hadconstantly 
contested his authority. He accused Bunleng of "active opposition" tonew cases 
and said that during an informal meeting, Bunleng had refused to evendiscuss 
them.
Bunleng could not immediately be reached for comment.
Prosecutors have compiled substantial evidence for so-called Cases003 and 004, 
which include two top military commanders who also were leaders inCambodia's 
post-Khmer Rouge military, according to confidential court documentsobtained by 
AP. The documents allege both took part in purges that resulted intens of 
thousands of deaths.
Thegovernment, however, has openly stonewalled. Hun Sen told Ban last year that 
new cases would "not be allowed." Hehas warned that new cases could spark 
renewed civil war, though his oppositionlikely stems from the many Khmer Rouge 
officials, like himself, who are now ingovernment and who fear investigators 
could find new evidence of warcrimes.
Earlier Monday, the Khmer Rouge's chief jailer started a week oftestimony 
against three of the regime's surviving leaders who are accused ofcrimes 
against humanity.
Itwas Kaing Guek Eav's first courtroom appearance since February, when 
thetribunal's appeals court sentenced him to life imprisonment for 
committing"shocking and heinous" crimes against the Cambodian people.
Duch's testimony Monday covered preliminary information andbackground about his 
work as a prison commander but did not address the threesenior Khmer Rouge 
figures being tried.
Theyare 85-year-old Nuon Chea, the Khmer Rouge's chief ideologist and No. 2 
leader;80-year-old Khieu Samphan, an ex-head of state — both of whom were 
present inthe courtroom. Ieng Sary, the 86-year-old former foreign minister, 
was grantedpermission to watch from a private room due to back trouble that 
prevents himfrom sitting for long periods.
Allthree are accused of crimes against humanity, genocide, religious 
persecution,homicide and torture.
Unlike Duch, who admitted his role and asked for forgiveness, theothers insist 
they did nothing wrong and say they worked on behalf ofCambodians. An estimated 
1.7 million people were killed during the regime's ruleby execution and torture 
or died from starvation, hard labor or lack of medicalcare.

 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Cambodia Discussion (CAMDISC) - www.cambodia.org" group.
This is an unmoderated forum. Please refrain from using foul language. 
Thank you for your understanding. Peace among us and in Cambodia.

To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/camdisc
Learn more - http://www.cambodia.org

Reply via email to