*Opposition Steadfast in Face of Possible Retaliation*
Khmer Times / By Taing Vida
Thursday, 11 February 2016

[image: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/files/news/21321/1455218516.jpg]

Opposition leader Kem Sokha (C) and other lawmakers visit jailed CNRP
members at Prey Sar prison yesterday. KT/ Veasna Chhorn

Supporters of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) threatened to hold
demonstrations in retaliation to planned protests against Prime Minister
Hun Sen during his visit to the United States this month for a US-ASEAN
summit, and in response, opposition leader Kem Sokha said the leaders of
his party will not flee the country in fear of violence against them.

In a 10-minute video clip posted to Facebook yesterday, two men claiming to
represent thousands of young CPP supporters promised to protest against the
opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), saying the party had
“caused trouble both inside and outside of the country” and was “trying to
overthrow the state leader through strikes which damage social security.”

Sang Song, one of the men in the video, reminded CNRP members of the last
protest against the opposition, which resulted in two CNRP lawmakers being
brutally attacked by a mob of pro-CPP protesters. Mr. Song said that if
people protested against the prime minister during his trip to the US,
they would demand the immediate dissolution of the CNRP.

Mr. Song was referencing a demonstration held by CPP supporters last
October against Mr. Sokha, acting president of the CNRP, demanding his
removal as first vice president of the National Assembly. The protesters
gathered in front of the National Assembly, and two CNRP lawmakers, Nhoy
Chamreoun and Kong Sophea, were viciously attacked as they tried to get in
their cars. Mr. Sokha was removed from his position the next week in an
all-CPP vote after the opposition began a boycott of the National Assembly
following the attack.

“We are ready for the demonstration in front of the CNRP’s head office. If
you protest against him [Mr. Hun Sen], we will do the same thing in this
country [that we did at] the National Assembly and withdraw your party from
the list. Without the CNRP, there are other parties,” Mr. Song said.

In the video, Mr. Song specifically mentioned CNRP lawmakers Real Camerin
and Um Sam An as members of the opposition who he believed were
“troublemakers” for taking issue with the government’s handling of the
border dispute with Vietnam and then fleeing the country.

“The CNRP claimed the party does not want the demonstration but
occasionally they cause problems and produce excuses claiming they are
individual cases. Now, I would like to announce that this is not run by the
CPP or its command but from its supporters,” he added.

CPP spokesman Sok Ey San told Khmer Times yesterday that he was not aware
of the video and did not recognize the individuals in it, but said it was
their right to express their dissatisfaction with the opposition.

“I think those who announced the demonstration in the United States should
stop it. Do not shame Cambodia on the international stage. All the demands
in the demonstration would not be considered because they are the
government’s or National Assembly’s decision. Everything is based on the
law,” he claimed.

According to Mr. Ey San, Mr. Sokha was stripped of his position in the
National Assembly because of a decision made by National Assembly MPs, not
because of the pro-CPP demonstration asking for it. The dissolution of the
opposition party could only be done through legal means, he said.

Article 33 of the Law on Political Parties says no authority has the right
to dissolve any political party except if the political party was dissolved
by a court’s final verdict or judgment.

CNRP spokesman Yem Ponhearith said the demonstrations planned for Mr. Hun
Sen’s US visit are not organized or supported by the CNRP, and that the
party is not afraid of a legal and peaceful demonstration against them.

“If they want to demonstrate in front of the party’s head office in order
to dissolve the party, please file the letter to our party and we will
support it as long as it is not violent and represents freedom of
expression,” he said.

Mr. Sokha, during a visit to CNRP activists detained in Prey Sar prison
yesterday, also said he was not afraid of the protests and would not leave
the country in fear of violence against him or his fellow party members.

“I will not go anywhere. I am still working here,” he said.

--

Best Regards,

*Khmer Forum*
*A place for sharing community events and public news.*

---
"Cambodia Discussion (CAMDISC) - www.cambodia.org" group.
to camdisc+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.