BTW, the Navy still processes 5" film in rolls from F-14 TARPS, they just use Kodak machines to do the work.  Stick the film in one end and when it comes out the other it is done.  I used the machines to develop my own film during my last cruise and they worked great on the B/W I was using as well.  It seemed the Skipper of the boat wouldn't let me bring aboard the chemicals I needed so I had to theirs! ;-) Besides, they had a GREAT darkroom too!

Dan Rhoades

----- Original Message -----
From: Sid Washer
Sent: June 12, 2001 12:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Cameramakers] Navy Training Manual for Photography on-line

<<<I always assumed we couldn't have the film touching itself
while developing?>>>

Not at all a problem provided that you wet the film by running it from
spool to spool a couple of times in plain water before souping it.
Remember also that that will dilute the developer a bit and should be
taken into account. We had tables for exactly that when I ran our Base
Photo Lab in 1959-61.
bye, sid.