re: Enlarger diffusion

Use translucent plexiglas that is used for light tables. It comes in many
thicknesses from 1/16 on up to probably 1"  They all transmit the same
amount of light. Thicker will probably mix better.

For my modified Bessler enlarger lamp I simply removed their awful
condensors, the light socket. I built my own light set up with a 200 watt
quartz bulb--which isn't going to discolor as it ages as will all those 60
watt bulbs. the inside of the condenser housing I simply spray painted with
High heat white paint.

If I were to modify the light (or get as motivated as you obviously are) and
build an 8x10 enlarger, than I will use one or two of the $10 250 watt
quartz work lights you can find at Home depot.

What I learned from poking around in my Bessler color head is that all you
need for even light is a piece of that plex on the bottom of as large a box
as you can manage painted white on the inside. If the light bounces around
enough and exits via the translucent plex it'll be even.

For diffusion I use a circle of the translucent plex. Works fine. Has edge
to edge evenness of 1/10 or 2/10s of a stop--(a lens will have fall off
greater than that). I wouldn't consider using anything else. & I would
recomend against 60 watt bulbs.

btw your multiple socket pattern sounds like the set-up Ansel Adams wrote
about. He had each bulb individually switched thinking that it would help
burn and dodge. As I remember he found it didn't work.

This translucent plex can be bought from any place selling plexi or through
a glass shop. Let them cut it--especially if it is a circle.

btw I use the 1/16th inch in above my negs and below a contrast mask. They
work great until they scratch.

Good luck.
---William Nettles

[EMAIL PROTECTED]