On 04-Sep-2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Thanks for the advice on the center filter for the Metrogon.  I actually
> had a different problem in mind.  As I understand it a piece of flat glass
> adds spherical aberration.  Someone in this group reported that the
> Metrogon was calculated with this in mind by including compensating
> aberration of the opposite sign so optimum resolution would be reached when
> one of the center filters was in place.

I assume that the center filter is used in front of the Metrogon?  If so, then,
for the photography of distant objects, the mere fact of having a flat uniform
thickness filter in front of the lens does NOT introduce spherical abberation.
For distant objects, the arriving light rays are very close to parallel -- the
effect of a flat uniform thickness piece of glass on parallel light rays is to
slightly shift the rays in a parallel manner -- with an object at infinity this
isn't noticeable.

Conversely, if a flat uniform thickness piece of glass is inserted into a beam
of convergent rays, spherical abberation will be created.  This would be the
case for a filter behind a lens, or a filter in front of a lens when the lens
is focused on a close object.   If you are doing closeups or using a filter
behind a lens, you should focus with the filter in place -- it changes the
apparent distance.

Compared to other filters, a center filter has some complicated effect on
abberations.   If you a lens without a center filter, the light rays that reach
the film have arrived with equal probability over the front of the lens (at
least the part of the glass used at the taking aperture).  If you use a center
filter, then the light rays at the edge have a higher probability of reaching
the film.  If the abberations contributed by the outer radii are different from
the inner, then the mean abberation will be changed.   I don't think there is
any simple way to predict this effect.   For a really wide-angle lens, the
improvement in exposure uniformity due to using a center filter is likely to be
more important.

--Michael