I am not sure I understand the need for a full spectrum source for black
and white though I agree one must consider the spectrum with more care for
color work.

If you are not using multi-contrast paper I would think a bluer lamp would
look good and a lot of inexpensive fluorescent lamps ought to fill the
bill.  For multi-contrast papers you must be sure the required spectral
components are there but my intuition suggests just a couple (or maybe a
few!) selected lines would be sufficient)  ("A few" might come into play if
the emulsions have more than two components to gain wide contrast
range.)  More than likely is it that a couple well positioned lines could
increase the available contrast range by avoiding overlap of the spectral
have to judge this by looking at the lamp data and the emulsion data.

Any fluorescent lamp for which I have seen data tends to have some sharp
line structure superimposed on a continuum.  The phosphors are blended to
yield the required spectrum for the application, almost always to give the
eye the correct impression  (Some blends seem to be aimed at machines which
have special requirements and there are green lamps for copy machines, to
give a single example.)  The narrow lines come from the mercury discharge
which excited the phosphors and some of this light leaks out with the
extent of the leakage depending greatly on the lamp type.  The total amount
of light left in these lines is sometimes a lot and sometimes rather small
(you should notice the width of spectral features and compare area under
the curve in determining importance of the leakage.)

Try to obtain the catalog from Osram for a nice set of graphs of the spectra.

Some of you might also want to look at the "POWER STAR HQI".  This gives a
pretty smooth spectrum from a concentrated source (possibly suitable for a
condenser enlarger, although the source could be too big in the higher
power types)  There is a major problem; you cannot turn these lamps on and
off very easily.  When hot they start with great difficulty and the
lifetime drops dramatically with short cycles. A shutter would be
required.  Conversely, maybe they are satisfactory for color work at high
powers.  The lamps can deliver massive powers (maybe 3500 watts input) with
efficiency better than a hot filament lamp so the same input power is
delivering more light.

Bob