Get a light stand and a grip head. Anything else would just be screwing
around.
C-stands aka Century stands would probably be the best solution. They are
solid and cost with one arm about $150. I use lighting tripods with 5/8 inch
studs and grip heads and arms. They are portable and inexpensive.
The grip heads will effectively clamp to anything from 1/4 inch to a 2x4.
They are the most reliable and versitile fixture holder bar none.

Of course if you are 'screwing around' <g> and will only use the stand in a
studio you can always drop a length of galvanzied water pipe in a paint can
of concrete. 1/4" galv water pipe is usually avilable only in short nipples
(1" to 8" long) so 1/2 to a reducer works. Also 3/4" galv water pipe will
fit over the standard 5/8" stud on light stands. drill and tap 1/4 -20 and
get a thumb screw and you can calmp your fixture on any comerical stand.

The NYC studio that did the original "Alien" movie poster (about 1977 ? )
actually took about a dozen folding light stands and permanently stuck the
folded legs in paint cans filled with plaster of Paris. I thought it was a
waste of money but they pointed out, and my experience confirms, that in
still-life set-ups you often need a lot of stands in close proximity and the
legs are always interfering with each other. I move around a lot and still
want the legs on my stands to fold out but I know that when I have to crawl
under something in the middle of an exposure to turn a light on or off
--then and only then is the set-up complete.

good luck.

---William Nettles

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nettles Photo / Imaging Site  http://www.wgn.net/~nettles