If you drive stepping motors with a pair of 90 degrees out of phase sine
waves (sine plus cosine) you will often find the motion to be much
smoother  (I assume you would have 2 phase motors).  I suggest selecting
motors with finer steps, 200 per revolution or more.   I have seen 400 to
500 step, two phase motors in applications like plotters but you will need
some luck or patience to find these; however, 200 ought to be good enough.

Bob