I have been catching the pan threads intermitently.  Some one asked about
making smoother pans.  This can be accomplished using a worm gear drive vs
the typical stepper or DC direct drive approach. To me, the  issues with
steppers are backlash and settling time.  To make an analog image using
digital techniques one is just asking for digital artifacts. Unless you have
finer resolution in the stepping than the film can record. To kill one of
the issues there  are zero backlash drives. The one's I have seen are rather
large for a small camera though.

As for 120 base pano's.   I guess I would ask how to keep 120 film flat when
making a swing lens type of pano? The film base is thiner than 35mm and it
is much taller. So the act of advancing to the next exposure  ( tension on
the film ) seems sure to cause bulges in the middle of a long piece of film.