It would not be hard to do without a microprocessor, but it is almost
surely easier when one is used (very few components but some programming
instead.  The pure hardware method would require a fair number of
components, though by resorting to position sensitive switches to sense the
end of travel, the job might still be quite simple.   At one end you would
just reverse the counting sequence to rotate back to the starting place.
(closing the shutter at the same time, probably mechanically.)

Bob