At 02:33 PM 9/27/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>> John Cremati wrote:
>> I  have my doubts that these thicknesses will work in a 20x24 inch format..
>> If a thin  aluminum sheet is used  in the mammoth sizes it will have to be
>> made of  highly tempered  aluminum  alloy and  very ridged..  In the book
>> "Primitive Photography " A guide to making Cameras , Lenses and Calotypes,
>> they specify 1/8 inch thick luan as dark slide material for just a 8x10
>> format......
>       Is there anyone on the list that has experience in such large
formats as the 20x24 ?

Guys,
RE the relative hugeness of 24 in. sq. film, I now believe thinking in terms
of conventional dark slide materialis is probably wrong. Using luan may be a
very good idea. Also think about black foam core. It is terrific for
experimental camera bodies.  A stack of large film holders would weigh quite
a bit. Also There should be a container that will hold them flat - like a an
old wood tennis racket clamp.

AZ
Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.
http://www.panoramacamera.us