Hi there,

I used to operate large cameras doing line shots in typesetting/graphics
houses. A line shot is a shot which only involves lines, not continuous
tone like photographs. Type, diagrams, page make-up, etc. The same
cameras and lenses can be used for half-tone work as well.

The lens you have was made for close-up work, is optimized for a flat
field. If you use it for enlarging you should get exquisite results.
Graphic arts film is very slow speed, orthochromatic, very high res and
high contrast. The lenses used in that work *must* be sharp as a tack
and not distort anything. It's probably pretty well corrected for color
as well, although I can't promise anything; I don't know enough about
this particular model. I wouldn't be surprised if it were an Artar
knock-off.

The gizmo it's attached too is also familiar to me. These large cameras
are set up to do shots at anywhere from (typically) 15% to 300%. Some
have even greater range. Therefore your bellows extension (often
computed in feet) will vary considerably. The equivalent f/stops are
inscribed for various percentage ranges (which means a broad range of
bellows extensions); the lever sets the aperture appropriate for the
percentage enlargement or reduction (or 100% of course). You dial in the
typical aperture for your film and the "range" gives the correct real,
extension-compensated aperture.

That lens has a built-on flange with holes (I have two just like it).
You'll probably be able to easily detach it from the whole mechanism
just by unscrewing a few machine screws.

I haven't really put mine through their paces (13" and 15") but they
cover plenty on 8x10. I'll be testing them out once my 8x10 equipment is
up and running (after a few other projects are out of the way).

If you put the 15" on a 5x7 enlarger you'll get a real reduction in size
of the print as opposed to, say, a 210mm -- *if* you can focus at all!
It would probably be great for horizontal projection for large prints
but you'd need plenty of light and a fast speed paper. It would be great
as an 8x10 enlarger lens, as it's longer than "normal" focal length for
that format. You won't get any linear distortion using the lens on those
formats, just good, straight, undistorted enlargements with good
contrast.

If I were you I'd put it on the biggest camera I have and shoot with it,
color or b&w. Most process lenses do great as taking lenses too. I'd
imagine you'll be really pleased with the results. For good sharpness
and contrast I'll bet it'll hold its own against anything else on the
block. Let us know!

Hope this helps.

'Bye for now,

--Michael