--- Uptown Gallery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
..snip..
 I intended to take a few
> measurements from it to
> show me how a film holder fits a view camera.
..snip..
> Well, I learned it has a Polaroid back. If they
> never shot 'conventional'
..snip..

Thank your friend nicely for saving the camera from
the dumpster.  I hate it when that happens.

A couple of thoughts; I've been working on building
some 4x5 backs.

First, is the old camera a speed or crown graflex, as
opposed to the older SLR graflexes (these usually have
tall folding viewing hoods on the top).  The old SLR
graflexes mostly used a non-standard (or at least, not
the modern standard) film holder, so they'd be poor
candidates for measurements, unless they'd been
modified.

With a polaroid back, it's probably a speed or a
crown; I've got a polaroid 4x5 back, and while it'll
give you an idea of how a film holder is shaped, parts
of it are a little different (I built my first 4x5
back around a film holder, then got a polaroid 4x5
back and discovered it had a bump the film holder
didn't have, so it didn't fit in my back!

>From the fiddling I've done, if you're going to build
a 4x5 back, you'll find it a lot easier to have a
recent 4x5 film holder to look at and build models
around than a set of measurements.  I actually glued
up my first back (I'm working on a better design for
my second) around a film holder covered in saran wrap,
to make sure it fit!

-- pw