Thanks for the information. I'm going to make friends with a machinist and
see what we can do. I'll post scanned images as they become available. Keep
an eye on www.netinfoandmore.com/Camera for pictures and building info as I
do it.
Michael Hendrickson>"

Sounds like you have a telephoto converter attachment screwed onto the
back of the lens to convert its focal length to the longer one.

You mention that when you unscrew this section the lens focuses at its
rated 190mm; with the section screwed on the focal length more than
doubles.

I know that this sort of thing was made some time ago; Bausch and Lomb
made one early in the 1900s, and it was adjustable. But you rarely see
these anywhere for sale and they're barely mentioned. Also I've seen
mentioned, in literature from about the 1940s, accessory clip-on or
screw-on lenses to modify focal lengths of view lenses.

(In actual fact, I mis-spoke: If it were a telephoto converter per se,
it would make the projected image larger, as though it were shot with a
very long lens, without moving the focal plane that far away from the
lens. This sounds like a focal length doubler or something of the sort.)

I'd like to know how it stacks up on the negative, what its optical
quality is.

Sounds like a keeper to me! Good luck!

'Bye for now,

--Michael