Using "include" instead of "open" would work, ie. turning your example into:

module Vec_main = struct
  type t = { x: int; y: int }
  let make x y = {x;y}
  let add a b = {x=a.x+b.x; y=a.y+b.y}
end

module Vec = struct
  include Vec_main
  module Type = struct
    include Vec_main
  end
end

Then:
# let n = Vec.make 2 5;;
val n : Vec.t = {Vec.x = 2; Vec.y = 5}
# open Vec.Type;;
# let m = {x=1;y=2};;
val m : Vec.Type.t = {x = 1; y = 2}
# Vec.add m n;;
- : Vec.t = {Vec.x = 3; Vec.y = 7}

Cheers

--
Vincent Aravantinos - Postdoctoral Fellow, Concordia University, Hardware
Verification Group

On 11/02/2011 03:41 PM, Anthony Tavener wrote:
I've been struggling with this occasionally...

I'm using nested modules to "open" access to select features of a module. My problem is I can't find a way to *expose* types in the parent module through such nested modules.

A simplified example of what I'm looking at:

  module Vec = struct

    type t = { x: int; y: int }
    let make x y = {x;y}
    let add a b = {x=a.x+b.x; y=a.y+b.y}

    module Type =
      (* something which has type t = Vec.t,
       * with exposed structure when "open"ed.
       * Also note that Vec is not really an
       * explicit module like this; instead it
       * is implemented in vec.ml <http://vec.ml> *)
  end

Example usage...

  let n = Vec.make 2 5
  open Vec.Type
  let m = {x=1;y=2}
  Vec.add m n

To date, I've defined the type in the Type submodule, which is then used by the parent module. The unsatisfactory quality of this is that Vec.Type.t is the "true" type. Ideally the concrete type would live at Vec.t, with "open Vec.Type" bringing the fields of the type into scope.

As background, here are examples of opening different features of the Vec module:

  let c = Vec.add a b

  open Vec.Prefixed
  let c = vadd a b

  open Vec.Ops
  let c = a +| b

  open Vec.Type
  let c = Vec.add a {x;y;z=0.}

Apologies if this is really beginner-list material. It's minor, but has been bugging me.
Thank-you for looking,

 Tony