On 11/09/2011 02:29 AM, Cedric Cellier wrote:
For some reasons though, despite functors being one of the greatest strength of the language, we do seam shy to use, recommand or brag about them. I wonder if this is due to the lack of proper documentation ?
I don't think there is a lack of proper documentation: it is introduced right away in the "tutorial" part of the Ocaml manual (Part I), it is described in the language description (Part II) and there are a couple of examples in the std lib (Part IV). What do you think it lacks to be properly documented (at least w.r.t other features of Ocaml)?

I actually wonder if they just *look* too complicated? Maybe because they are verbose? Each time you define a functor you also have to give the signature of its argument, which, compared to a simple "include" can look overkilling.
Concretely:

module A = struct
end

module B = struct
  include A
end

VS

module A = struct
end

module type B_INPUT = sig
  ... (can be big)
end

module Make_B (X:B_INPUT) = struct
end

For one module that's fine, but when you start having lots of modules and intricate interactions between them, that can start to be a pain in the ass. In addition, this include->functor switch happens quite often when you have sources that were not written in the first place with functors in mind, so this is not an uncommon situation.

I think personally that this verbosity is actually a good thing because it forces to give some documentation which is particularly needed when many modules are interacting. But then this documentation argument is a bit contradictory with what we sell to beginners when they learn Ocaml: "Ocaml is great because it has type inference, this removes verbosity!"...

--
Vincent Aravantinos
Postdoctoral Fellow, Concordia University, Hardware Verification Group