Gerd, you are summing up in a few paragraphs what I tried to say in a few pages.

There are other parts of Camlp4 that I would also welcome:
- the OCaml quotation parsers that reads quoted OCaml expression (and
patterns) and translate them to their ASTs (as an OCaml expression);
this makes generating OCaml code easy
- controlled extension points such as 'type-conv' and 'deriving',
hopefully generalized to most AST nodes; this goes in the direction of
Alain's annotation proposal

> There could be still camlp4 or p5 as a separate add-on,
> but it will be a second-class citizen, and it would be clear that it is
> a bit behind with the newest syntactical features.

It's not a big problem if the second-class extensions have trouble
processing and producing pieces of OCaml AST using the newest
syntactical features (eg. the OCaml quotations don't have sugar for
them). But it's a problem if they simply can't be run on files using
those features, forcing their users to keep older versions of OCaml.
It's not a *new* problem as it already appears at version transitions,
but it also won't go away as long as people use a preprocessor that
insists on understanding the whole AST, whether those tools are first-
or second-class.