On 03/07/2012 08:02 PM, Francois Berenger wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to have 'odb remove foo' just call
'ocamlfind remove foo'?

Yes, this is possible. Most details of this are already implemented; the code to do `ocamlfind remove foo` is already implemented as part of --force for reinstalling/upgrading packages that don't ocamlfind remove themselves as part of their `make install`, but...

This doesn't remove the package. It only stops ocamlfind from complaining about double installation of the same package. If users want to remove an ocamlfind package, they can type "ocamlfind remove foo" themselves; it's saving them only a few keystrokes to have an odb alias for the same thing, and even if it were added, it wouldn't work properly in many cases, as it wouldn't deal with executables and any other files installed by a program (documentation, etc.).

For myself, when I want to remove something installed by odb, I usually just nuke my whole ~/.odb directory and reinstall the packages I want to keep.

Thus my resistance to 'odb --remove foo'.

E.