On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 06:59:50PM +0200, Berke Durak wrote:
> That would allow people to easily write tools that examine object
> files without relying on the unnecessarily britlle binary format.
> At the very least you could open it in a text editor and see if
> everything's OK inside, or simply grep it.  Yes, there is CMI grep,
> but that one would be even better.  Do this, and you will instantly
> see 10 to 20 new metatools for Ocaml.

But you'll also kill OCaml compiler development.  The *.cm* files
contain representations of the type system, and research on the type
system is the main point of OCaml which is why it changes so much.

Anyway we already have (safe) meta-tools.  We don't need ones which
hack away at internal representations, even if that is a common
development model for Java class files.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones