Jacques Carette wrote:

> Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Maybe it would help if you explained what a "clone detector"
> > is.
> >
> A "clone" is software-engineering speak for "duplicated code".  Exactly
> what qualifies as 'duplicated code' and how to efficiently find such
> (without too many false positives nor false negatives) is still fairly
> active research.  This is a huge issue in languages without decent
> abstraction features, and less so otherwise (or so it seems).

Thanks for the explanation.

I can think of two situations where such a clone detector may be useful;
for finding similar chunks of code so that they may be refactored for
software QA management and for detecting plaguarism in student programming
assignments.

I suspect that these two kinds of clone detectors would actually be
quite different.

Cheers,
Erik