Hello,

On 01-03-2010, Marco Maggi <marco.maggi-i...@poste.it> wrote:
> Ciao,
>
>   I am a  True Beginner taking a look at  O'Caml; I hope not
> to  be abusing  by posting  here rather  than  the beginners
> list.
>
>   I  think  I   successfully  compiled  ocaml-3.11.2  on  my
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, but  there seems to be no  way to install
> the package in  a temporary location via the  Linux de facto
> standard DESTDIR environment variable;  is there a way to do
> it?  (I am used to build custom packages.)

If you are really a beginner, I will really recommend to you using your
distribution OCaml packages, no matter if its ocaml 3.10.2 or 3.11.2.

Debian and Fedora provide packages (apt-get install ocaml on Debian).

>   The  web site[1]  is beautiful  (no  irony) but  a lot  of
> informations look outdated, 4/5 years old; I see many O'Caml
> related sites on  the Net.  Is there one that  I can take as
> reference  for  the latest  news,  for  example about  still
> maintained library packages?
>
> [1] <http://caml.inria.fr/>

caml.inria.fr and the Hump is a pretty good place to start:
http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/hump.fr.cgi

The site available here are also good points to start with:
http://caml.inria.fr/resources/index.fr.html
and especially
http://www.ocaml-tutorial.org/

Then you have ocamlcore.org related websites:
- http://www.ocamlcore.org: entry point of ocamlcore.org
- http://planet.ocamlcore.org: for the latest (general) news of the
  OCaml community
- http://forge.ocamlcore.org: participate to various OCaml projects