On 8 November 2017 at 16:44, Ricardo Kirkner <ricardokirk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> I've been following the camlistore project for some time now, but I haven't
> yet found the courage to actually use it for stuff I care about (for
> different reasons that don't really matter for this email).
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to use camlistore for what I want, so
> I'll explain it here briefly, and hope people can suggest ways to achieve
> this.
>
> What I want:
>
> - robust storage for all the photos I've taken (and decided to keep)

yes

> - should allow certain people to see those photos online

yes

> - should allow me to share those photos with friends and family

yes

> - should allow people to see metadata about each photo

some amount of metadata is exposed through the web UI, but it is not
meant to be multi-users for now, so you'd have to share your
credentials, which is not ideal/recommended.
I've also taken a stab at read-only credentials for the web UI, which
would help with that
(https://camlistore-review.googlesource.com/c/camlistore/+/11406), but
it's still a work in progress.

> - should allow people to add comments/notes to a photo

not done.

> - should allow people to add tags to a photo (in particular as a way to
> collaboratively select which photos to print)

same as with the metadata question. Only you can add tags to your
photos through the web UI for now.

> I think camlistore can cover several of these needs (robust storage, online
> viewer, sharing) but as I understand it, it's still lacking in other areas
> (view metadata, comments, tags) for which an app using camlistore as a
> storage backend would be the right approach?

Yes. Probably even easier: just add these missing features on top of
the publisher app, and slap some basic auth on top of it, and i think
it should be enough.

> In addition, while running this locally, I've noticed the UI is not the
> fastest in terms of displaying all the pictures, but I believe this is
> probably just a matter of configuration, so I wanted to ask for tips on how
> to best configure the server for this use case.

I have never benchmarked what the actual limiting factor is. The
thumbnails cache (there should be one by default) should alleviate
some of that.
Are you talking about first load, or is everything always slow? Are
you talking about displaying all the small thumbnails in the search
aspect, or browsing from one image to the other through the image
aspect?