On 22 February 2018 at 17:47, James Hillyerd <ja...@hillyerd.com> wrote:

> Hi Mathieu, I did play around with misc/docker/server a bit, I remember
> having some trouble with the build process until I figured out I needed to
> move perkeep into my GOPATH for dock.go to work.

yeah probably, we're still "old school" about that.

IMHO, some of the benefits of my Docker build:

>    - Builds entirely within a Docker container, no local Go or perkeep
>    build environment required
>
> right. because it's simpler for us to write Go than shell, we use
./misc/docker/dock.go to bind all the pieces together. But that does come
with the price of requiring Go and (a small bit, that could be removed) of
Perkeep.

>    - This makes the build more deterministic and documented
>    - The build compatible with hub.docker.com automated builds
>    - Docker hub means anybody can 'docker pull jhillyerd/perkeep', they
>       don't need to build it themselves
>
> Yes. We've been wanting to push more images at
https://hub.docker.com/r/camlistore but we've been busy with other things.
We do have
https://storage.googleapis.com/camlistore-release/docker/camlistored.tar.gz
that we keep relatively up to date though.

>    - New Perkeep users setting up a NAS may not have access to a docker
>       environment
>       - Build logs
>
> <https://hub.docker.com/r/jhillyerd/perkeep/builds/br5ubrvvdcx8xzf2abkdasz/>
>       are available along with the Dockerfile that produced them, so you know
>       what you are getting.

Neat, I did not know about that.

>    - The resulting image is a bit more user friendly, exporting distinct
>    /config and /storage volumes that work out of the box

Yes, that's nice. We haven't worked on such subtleties yet because our main
use for the docker image is to deploy on GCE, where camlistored already
knows by itself to work with buckets, and where we don't really expect the
user to tweak things.