Maybe have a look at http://code.google.com/p/camping-picnic/
<http://code.google.com/p/camping-picnic/>Among other functionality, Picnic
gives you a myapp-ctl wrapper script around your camping app that takes care
of starting and stopping mongrel. Writing an init.d script around the
myapp-ctl script is pretty trivial.

Otherwise using mongrel_cluster to start up your app is probably your best
choice. That's what we did before we switched to passenger.