I vote number 2 - it keeps apps separated, so you can pop a whole bunch in a
folder and call it a day - Having one big shared public folder is messy and
breaks that model of separation entirely. If people like Isak have existing
arrangements in place, there aught to be some configurable option to specify
any arbitrary folder as the public files.

—
Jenna Fox