Please forward. The article link has been corrected.

====article starts====

>From http://www.skilluminati.com
http://www.skilluminati.com/research/about

Article link:
The United States is the least free nation in the
world<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/the_united_states_is_the_least_free_nation_in_the_world>

---

  [image: Skilluminati Research] <http://www.skilluminati.com/> Skilluminati
Research

   - Home <http://www.skilluminati.com/>
   - About <http://www.skilluminati.com/research/about/>
   - Resource <http://www.skilluminati.com/research/resource/>
   - Archive <http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/>

 The United States is the Least Free Nation in the World

Posted Dec 29, 2007 2
comments<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/the_united_states_is_the_least_free_nation_in_the_world/#jump-to-comments>
[image: us prison population]

Quite a statement, I know. This is not an anti-Bush diatribe. I do not hate
America, and I am not even remotely liberal. I am simply referring to this
fact: *the United States of America has the higest percentage of its
citizens in prison of any nation in the world.* The precise statistic is 737
per 100,000 US citizens behind bars, a rate that is higher than Russia,
China, Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Brazil, Thailand, Libya *or
even Canada.* No other nation in the world locks up its own citizens at the
level the United States do.

>From Daniel Lazare's outstanding recent
article<http://www.alternet.org/rights/60065/>in The Nation:

With 2.2 million people behind bars and another 5 million on probation or
parole, it has approximately 3.2 percent of the adult population under some
form of criminal-justice supervision, which is to say one person in
thirty-two. For African-Americans, the numbers are even more astonishing. By
the mid-1990s, 7 percent of black males were behind bars, while the rate of
imprisonment for black males between the ages of 25 and 29 now stands at one
in eight.

That's pretty remarkable when you compare those numbers to the fact that,
according to US Census Data, white voters have a 1 in 63 chance of casting a
ballot that will never be counted. For black voters, the odds are 1 in 7.
Most Americans live their lives under two huge myths: first, that nuclear
holocaust is no longer a threat simply because the cold war is over, and
second, that after the courageous efforts of Martin Luther King Jr, America
has changed its racist ways. *Martin Luther King Jr was shot in the head and
not a damn thing has changed since.*

The worst part, of course, is that violent crime has actually been dropping
for years here in the US. Quoting Lazare once more:

In 2002 just 19 percent of the felony sentences handed down at the state
level were for violent offenses, and of those only about 5 percent were for
murder. Nonviolent drug offenses involving trafficking or possession (the
modern equivalent of rum-running or getting caught with a bottle of bathtub
gin) accounted for 31 percent of the total, while purely economic crimes
such as burglary and fraud made up an additional 32 percent.

*Actually, wait,* the *worst part* is that nobody is doing anything to
change this and it keeps getting worse. We have only just begun to see the
real consqueneces of this. Sexual violence in prison is rising
dramatically<http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/60064/>over the past
decade. Prisoners are being used as sweatshop
labor <http://www.alternet.org/environment/46874/>. Most of the "single
parent households" in the US are due fathers and mothers being in jail.

Further Brainfood

[image: murder rate increases with prohibition and war on drugs]

First of all, if you haven't already clicked the link, please read Daniel
Lazare's article. <http://www.alternet.org/rights/60065/>

I also strongly recommend The Atlantic's groundbreaking article "The Prison
Industrial Complex" <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/199812/prisons>

Begin your own research with the Department of Justice's publicly available
prison statistics. <http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm>

Prison Moratorium Project <http://www.nomoreprisons.org/> -- this is a great
site and a great organization.

If you're interesting in getting your Brainfood in the form of flashing
light, check out the excellent documentary The War on Drugs: Prison
Industrial Complex <http://joox.net/cat/44/id/1326730>. It's disturbing as
f***, but beautifully done.

Spread the Research:

   -
   - [image:
Del.icio.us]<http://del.icio.us/post?url=http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/the_united_states_is_the_least_free_nation_in_the_world/>
   - [image:
reddit]<http://reddit.com/submit?url=http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/the_united_states_is_the_least_free_nation_in_the_world/>
   -

<http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/the_united_states_is_the_least_free_nation_in_the_world/>

 Looking for more information? Try these related articles.

   - The Foundations of Supreme Executive
Power<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/the_foundations_of_supreme_executive_power/>
   - SYME: The Heart of
1984<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/syme_the_heart_of_1984/>
   - Micheal Aquino and
"Mindwar"<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/micheal_aquino_and_mindwar/>
   - Manuel De Landa on "Policing the
Spectrum"<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/manuel_de_landa_on_policing_the_spectrum/>
   - Joe Delgado's "Physical Control of the
Mind"<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/joe_delgados_physical_control_of_the_mind/>

Filed in: Social
Control<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/social_control>

Next entry: Welcome to
2008<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/welcome_to_2008/>

Previous Entry: More Post-Paranoid Food for
Thought<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/more_post_paranoid_food_for_thought/>
  Categories

   - News <http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/news>
   - Books <http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/books>
   - DIY
Projects<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/diy_projects>
   - Future
Tech<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/future_tech>
   -
Geopolitics<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/geopolitics>
   - Emergent
Order<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/emergent_order>
   - Social
Control<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/archive/category/social_control>

 Syndication

   - [image: FeedBurner
Stats]<http://feeds.feedburner.com/skilluminatiresearch>
   - Subscribe via RSS <http://feeds.feedburner.com/skilluminatiresearch>
   - Subscribe via
Email<http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=720330>

 Editor's Choice

   - "Changing Images of Man" in PDF
Format<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/changing_images_of_man_in_pdf_format/>
   - Joe Delgado's "Physical Control of the
Mind"<http://www.skilluminati.com/research/entry/joe_delgados_physical_control_of_the_mind/>

 Recent Resources

   - Thirtyseven <http://www.thirtyseven.info/>
   - Rigorous Intuition <http://rigint.blogspot.com/>