It's an init-style script (start|stop|restart) but with a caveat that
one needs to be in the project directory to start the service. Thus,
the command line I'm running is:

cd /opt/project && sh /opt/project/etc/start_project.sh start

When I run this in the capistrano shell, or while logged into the
machine, the service starts right up and is happy. When I let Cap run
through the script, it hits this line and seems to succeed, but no
service is ever started.

Jason