Then you have two independent projects, not two stages.

I recommend using git submodules, still - and tracking your i18n
separately, and when you need to "deploy" your translations, make a
one-liner task go to the app, and do a `git submodule update`. Then Git (a
content tracker) will track when your translations were last deployed (or
rather, what version was last deployed, which I'd wager is just as
important.)

And your developers won't have to care about checking out and symlinking,
and keeping up to date two trees, and your deployments will always be a
one-shot, with an option to deploy translations when they become available
without requiring an extensive re-deploy of the whole I18n tree, and
re-symlinking into the project root.

I guess my point is "use your tools" - symlinking/etc on the filesystem and
deploying two separate stacks, and symlinking codebases with
interdependencies is going to be horribly unreliable, and violates the
principle of least surprise (submodules were designed to solve this problem
(dependent projects with alternate release cycles)) so why not leverage
them to your advantage?

Sounds like you're resisting a bit, because you are already invested in
this route, which I fear may be a mistake for you.

- Lee