On Thursday, 26 February 2015 17:51:50 UTC+1, Lee Hambley wrote:

> It's documented *somewhere*, I recall having written about why, the long
> and short version is "anything with a whitespace in it is not safe for us
> to modify, and prepend and append paths, commands, etc", that unfortunately
> also applies to test(), and of course there is no `test(:some, :symbol)`
> syntax that makes sense.

hi Lee,
thank you for the explanation. I knew about the whitespace issues, but not
it applied to test() as well. I'm glad I have a clear rule about what I can
expect and what not.

> I'd suggest to use the `capture()` api to `capture(:pwd)`, and use Ruby's
> `File.join()` APIs (or, just concatenate the strings) to build the command
> to test for.

Yes, I already made a function that essentially did this. But my main goal
was to *understand*  why my task was failing. So I am completely content
now.

Thanks again, Ruud