Thanks guys!!! yes the 'space' is the culprit...

[root@localhost testapp1]# bundle exec cap install STAGES=dev,test
mkdir -p config/deploy
[skip] config/deploy.rb already exists
[skip] config/deploy/dev.rb already exists
create config/deploy/test.rb
mkdir -p lib/capistrano/tasks
[skip] Capfile already exists
Capified