There is no deploy:setup because originally the first deploy of a rails app
was unique in setting up spinners, installing gems and starting mongrel
daemons, etc - with the advent of bundler and passenger mod_rails, and
friends this has largely gone away.

You can see the flow capistranorb.com/documentation/getting-started/flow
here which capistrano expects, and enforces, since deploy:setup was never
called automatically, and only ever by hand, you can simply write a task
deploy:setup yourself, and call it whenever you like. There was never any
secret sauce behind deploy:setup, it is just so seldom needed now that we
don't include it by default.

The deployment/hosting world is now so fragmented with chef, puppet,
ansible, salt, docker, coreos, rocket, xen, lxd, lxc, where would one even
know where to start?

Lee Hambley
http://lee.hambley.name/
+49 (0) 170 298 5667