>      The problem began when I ran: '. capify' on one of my app servers. (I
> had read in a forum post that it might help me identify issues with my
> setup) The output from that command complained about a version mismatch. I
> fixed the issue. Since that point my server output has the indentation
> issue and password issues

This sounds like really catastrophically bad advice. "Source" (the dot
command) tries to load something into your shell, it is supposed to take a
shell language (bash, zsh, etc) language file, you might see this as ".
something.sh" usually.

When you run this with a Ruby file, most of the content in the `capify`
Ruby file has no meaning to the shell. However restarting the terminal
should have cleared any ill effects, unless this ". capify" is in a startup
file, such as .bashrc, or .profile or similar in your user's home directory
(either side of the server)

There might be a gross misunderstanding here too, as the "cap" and "capify"
commands are never intended to run on your server, but on your workstation
and connect out to your servers over SSH.