I just had this problem (I'm not using capistrano) and in fact on my dev
machine it would work nice and quick but on the server it would compile the
assets and then hang forever. However, after waiting for it to finish,
doing it a second time is quick and painless. Turns out that
assets:precompile also does a tmp:cache:clear which only had a lot to clean
up on the production machine.