I could probably explain myself another way, but first I will say that
"make before break" obviously makes a ton of technical sense, hence why
most vendors do it. And, I'm speaking generally, I'm sure different vendors
are doing slightly different things. But, I think the 'arms race' is proof
that it has some consequences that either operators find annoying, or
reports we are hearing are just 'fake news' :)

Another way to view it...

Consider the ideal user experience:
User: Wanting Wi-Fi, and already knows about years of reports about how
un-safe public WiFi is.
UE: Hey, btw, there is public access WiFi available
User: Click, yay! (Just like the IETF network!) [Everything works]
WISP: Wow, that is a ton of valuable data, but we lack control

Now consider the ideal user experience from the WISP perspective:
User: Wanting Wi-Fi, and already knows about years of reports about how
un-safe public WiFi is.
UE: Hey, btw, there is public access WiFi available
User: Click, yay! (Just like the IETF network!, oh, wait, there is a
portal) [Some apps fail (though UE could then pin to LTE), others may work
in walled garden (if the UE allows them)]
WISP: Nice... still getting a ton of valuable data, and we have some user
contact, consent, branding, and service selling opportunists!
User: A bit annoyed (but not enough to complain harshly to the venue) by
the up-selling (and contemplates where the world has gone to when WiFi
isn't free), but is enjoying some of the walled garden resources offered by
the WISP for free.
User: Wow, that portal was super easy to use because I was already logged
into my social network (or maybe IETF website :) anyway

What actually happens today (made extra dramatic for effect :)
User: Wanting Wi-Fi, and already knows about years of reports about how
un-safe public WiFi is.
UE: Hey, btw, there is public access WiFi available
User: Click, yay! (Just like the IETF network!, oh, wait, there is a portal)
WISP: Dang, we aren't getting the data (or analytics on traffic) we once
got (or still get with no portal / garden)
WISP: Dang, the user isn't able to access our free walled garden resources
because the UE thinks they can't
WISP: Knows their portal is broken in some UEs (the marketing firm web
developers don't really understand limitations of walled gardens), gives
instructions on best way to invoke portal "reliably"
User: This portal is completely un-usable with UE, laptop is ok. I get they
are being cute with a social login, but it isn't working that well. I don't
remember any of my passwords.
User: They told me I could access information and certain Apps for free,
but I don't see how. This is pointless.
User: Complains to venue
Venue: Complains to WISP who adds capport detection URLs to the walled
garden

The arms race is a WISP trying to fix this user / UE / venue "public
access" expectation gap, by tweaking things to get the desired result (for
good intentions, or perhaps questionable).

This can be viewed as the UE as having different 'policies' for captive
portal public access networks vs. public access networks without portals.
One policy includes assuming all network connections will work (because the
UE did a DNS check plus some additional, rather statistically insignificant
URL tests), and puts the default route on the network without further ado.
The other, captive portal, policy (assigned even though the network
demonstrates general Internet connectivity via DNS tests, and maybe some of
the test URLs, the UE still wasn't convinced), disallows any network use
until the user performs actions in a broken browser of the UEs choosing
(and doing).

I think there are some user options to be had in there somewhere...