Erik Kline <e...@google.com> wrote:
    > In the latter case especially, what becomes clear is that the UE needs
    > to be able to receive an unsolicited packet.  ICMP is a canonical
    > example of receiving and processing an unsolicited packet.  But it
    > could also be something like a UDP socket listening on a well known
    > port that receives a 1-byte datagram, which causes the UE to enqueue
    > (for rate-limiting purposes) a captive API query.

On POSIX systems, it's clearly a lot easier to open a UDP socket from an
unpriviledged application than to open an ICMP socket.

Is this a consideration for you?

    >     [3] NetworkMonitor already rate limits requests from applications
    > to revalidate the network, and these would likely be no different (or
    > pretty much the same).

Or would NetworkMonitor do this anyway, and it has all the priviledges it
needs anyway?

]     m...@sandelman.ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-