> On Apr 12, 2018, at 6:22 AM, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Now that NSView's canDrawConcurrently actually works in macOS 10.13
> (according to AppKit release notes), I'd like to use it in some of my custom
> NSViews.
>
> HITheme.h says HIThemeDrawTrack() is "Not thread safe".  What does that mean
> exactly?

It means that we haven’t gone through the HITheme code to ensure that all
access to shared data is protected by mutual exclusion, so it’s entirely
possible that using the HITheme API from multiple threads will cause crashes.

I am phrasing this carefully. We make no guarantees that the API can be used
from multiple threads at once. It’s possible that it can; it’s likely that if
you try it, you won’t crash immediately. It’s also likely that you will crash
occasionally, usually on customer machines and not your on dev machine.

>  It is usable from an NSView that canDrawConcurrently?

We make no guarantees that it is.

-eric